Internal medicine or general medicine is the medical specialty dealing with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of adult diseases. Internal medicine physicians are specialists who apply scientific knowledge and clinical expertise to the diagnosis, treatment, and compassionate care of adults across the spectrum from health to complex illness.
Internal medicine delved into underlying pathological causes of symptoms and syndromes by use of laboratory investigations in addition to bedside clinical assessment of patients.
Specialties under Internal Medicine:
• Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and management of allergies, asthma and disorders of the immune system.
• Cardiology, dealing with disorders of the heart and blood vessels
• Clinical cardiac electrophysiology
• Critical care medicine
• Endocrinology, dealing with disorders of the endocrine system and its specific secretions called hormones
• Gastroenterology, concerned with the field of digestive diseases
• Geriatric medicine
• Hematology, concerned with blood, the blood-forming organs and its disorders.
• Hospital medicine
• Infectious disease, concerned with disease caused by a biological agent such as by a virus, bacterium or parasite
• Interventional cardiology
• Medical oncology, dealing with the chemotherapeutic (chemical) and/or immunotherapeutic (immunological) treatment of cancer
• Nephrology, dealing with the study of the function and diseases of the kidney
• Pulmonology, dealing with diseases of the lungs and the respiratory tract
• Rheumatology, devoted to the diagnosis and therapy of rheumatic diseases.
• Sleep medicine
• Sports medicine